Lawmakers yesterday urged the government to put forward creative solutions to avoid the HK$40 billion Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge becoming a white elephant because of quotas on cross-border vehicle traffic. The Transport and Housing Bureau on Wednesday said the quota system could limit traffic flows on the bridge to just 14,000 vehicles a day when the span opens in 2016. That number was projected to rise to just 49,000 a day by 2035. Thirty-eight thousand Hong Kong vehicles and the same number from the mainland are currently licensed to cross the border. Lau Kong-wah , of the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong, told the Legislative Council's transport panel that the government should push for Zhuhai to allow more Hong Kong vehicles to cross the border than vice versa. 'The mainland could easily absorb 100,000 vehicles from Hong Kong without flinching, but the same cannot be said for a small city like Hong Kong.' Mr Lau also proposed that the authorities consider issuing one- or two-day cross-border passes to drivers. Meanwhile, Permanent Secretary for Transport and Housing Francis Ho Suen-wai said the traffic forecasts were very conservative. The government had said earlier that it was talking with authorities in Guangzhou and Macau to determine whether drivers who do not have cross-border licences could use the bridge.