Tomb raiders trying to steal the body of Li Ka-shing's wife gave up when their drill penetrated the tombstone just 7.5cm before getting stuck, a court in Guangzhou heard yesterday. The press and public were admitted to Guangdong Higher People's Court despite fears that they would be excluded. After a day of consideration, the province's high court decided the hearing for Hong Kong's Department of Justice to collect evidence from three convicted tomb raiders now jailed in Guangzhou could be conducted in open court. Mr Justice Alan Wright, a High Court judge in Hong Kong, said in court earlier that evidence not collected in an open, fair and just manner could not be admitted in a trial. An agent of the court, who only gave his name as Judge Lai, said: 'We hope all concerned parties will be fair and accurate when communicating to outsiders, so as to avoid any further misunderstanding.' Judge Lai proposed on Tuesday a ban on the media from the court due to their 'inaccurate reporting', which created 'inconvenience'. Judge Wright expressed his gratitude for the assistance of the Guangzhou authorities, stressing the hearing was not a trial but only a means to collect evidence against Wong Kwan-fuk, 56, and Lau Kwok-sun, 50, on bail in Hong Kong awaiting trial. 'In no way will I be intruding upon your authority,' he said. But mainland chat room users were still asking yesterday why the Hong Kong judiciary was involved and some mainland press continued to call the hearing a co-trial between the two legal systems. Convicted tomb raider Huang Hsinchuan said the plot to steal the body of Li Chong Yuet-ming was thwarted not only because the grave was too secure but because of a split in the gang. 'The Hong Kong people were so cunning. They stayed on the periphery while ordering us to dig the grave, so if police came they could run away quickly and we would get caught.' Five mainlanders and three Hongkongers - including Wong and Lau - are accused of conspiring in raiding the tomb in the Buddhist cemetery at Cape Collinson on the night of January 29, 2006, with the aim of blackmailing the tycoon. Huang said Wong picked that date because it was the first day of the Lunar New Year and the cemetery should have been quieter than usual. 'We drilled for half an hour and the head [of the dill bit] only went in three inches and it got stuck. We spent another half an hour just removing it,' he said. The hearing continues today.