A redevelopment official denied a mainland report yesterday that said a new site had been chosen for Beichuan, the main town in one of the counties worst hit by the massive Sichuan earthquake. Zuo Daifu , party secretary of Beichuan's redevelopment committee, told Xinhua that the redevelopment plan was still being drafted and a decision on the new county seat had yet to be made. The New Express reported yesterday that the community of Beichuan, where officials said not a single building remained safe, would be rebuilt 2km southwest of Anchang town in An county. The report said Anchang was chosen from among five townships and had been approved by Mianyang city government, which administers Beichuan. The new site, 33km from the original Beichuan town, would become a model zone for earthquake redevelopment and cultural hub for the Qiang ethnic minority. The report quoted a government report as saying that the new location was a flat space surrounded by low mountains and was blessed with beautiful scenery. It added that the new site would not be able to house more than 80,000 residents. The government decided to rebuild Beichuan on a new site after the 8-magnitude earthquake on May 12 killed at least 8,600 of its 13,000 residents and razed the town.