Chief Executive Donald Tsang Yam-kuen said yesterday he had been overwhelmed by the scope of the earthquake in Sichuan and the huge task required to rebuild the quake zone. Visiting the area for the first time since the May 12 disaster, delegations from Hong Kong and Macau toured a temporary school and visited families living in a resettlement area of Pengzhou city, 35km northeast of the provincial capital, Chengdu . Zhang Qiang, chief of Tongji town in Pengzhou, said he hoped the Hong Kong government could share its experiences in managing communities to help with resettling the victims. 'Most local people are farmers and they used to live separately and independently. Now they have to live together in these prefab houses,' Mr Zhang said. 'We lack the experience to handle the problems caused by the dense population.' A woman from the Xiaoyudong resettlement area said she hoped Hong Kong could help rebuild schools and homes. Although Tongji and Xiaoyudong towns were not the hardest-hit areas in Pengzhou, they were often chosen as showcases for visitors because they were near Chengdu, locals said. Tongji Middle School asked students to come in for the delegations' visit even though it was a holiday. They did not know who Mr Tsang was. Speaking after a meeting with Hong Kong NGOs, Mr Tsang said he was taken aback, although he knew he was only shown the tip of the iceberg. 'I have just visited one of the townships in Pengzhou and I feel rather overwhelmed. I have seen a rather sad scene and human misery,' Mr Tsang said. 'To me, it is quite traumatic.' Mr Tsang told Hong Kong NGOs, including the Red Cross, World Vision and Oxfam, that the government was prepared to help but wanted to ensure it did so in ways that would not overlap with existing efforts. Hong Kong has donated more than HK$2.1 billion to quake relief.