URBAN councillors yesterday criticised the fact that the Hong Kong Stadium, built primarily to promote top-class soccer, would not be hosting a game as part of its multi-million-dollar opening. And they asked whether the management company, Wembley International, was competent to manage the stadium. The stadium, rebuilt over the past two years at a cost of $850 million provided by the Jockey Club, will reopen on March 11. A bumper three-day carnival was scheduled to celebrate the opening, with a star-studded match between Dutch champions Feyenoord and Brazil's Gremio as the climax on the last day. But the match was cancelled when organiser Pro-Events Management failed to secure a sponsor. The cancellation meant the opening ceremonies will not have a major sporting attraction. The first day will have a night gala with a laser and light concert by French showman Jean Michel Jarre. The second evening will have a Super Music Century concert, organised by TVB, starring Sandy Lam Yik-leen, Leon Lai Ming, and Andy Lau Tak-wah. Wembley's managing director in Hong Kong, Robin Oram, told councillors the soccer match had to be cancelled despite a ''worldwide search'' to find top soccer teams to play here. He said Wembley had contracted the event's organisation out to Pro-Events. Legislator and Urban Councillor Fred Li Wah-ming said it was wrong not to have a soccer match during the stadium's opening. ''It seems that the stadium is a venue for shows and concerts, but not for soccer matches,'' he said. Another councillor, Wong Siu-yee, said he was not happy with the handling by Wembley. ''Why can South China invite Sao Paulo, but the stadium, with the support of the Urban Council, fails to organise a decent match?'' he asked. Councillors suggested a penalty system be introduced for the organiser to avoid similar incidents. They also discussed whether local soccer teams could fill in the gap. Director of Urban Services Albert Lam Chi-chiu said time was too short to organise any major event on the third day. His view was echoed by council chairman Ronald Leung Ding-bong, who added soccer matches had been scheduled from March 19. Councillors eventually dropped all alternative plans due to the time constraint.