MTR hopes to end confusion by removing disused turnstiles
Rail users' confusion about where to go when switching between former KCR lines and MTR services should come to an end this week when it begins dismantling the turnstiles passengers used to have to pass through.
They were turned off on September 28, when the MTR integrated the formerly separate charging systems, but since then thousands of passengers switching between lines have become confused and accidentally exited stations.
The MTR Corp has handed out more than 2,000 free single-journey tickets to transit passengers who made that mistake.
However, general manager Miranda Leung Chan Chi-ming said the situation was improving. 'Passengers were not used to the changeover when it was first introduced, but they adapted quickly.'
Mrs Leung said the number mistakenly exiting stations quickly fell from 700 on the first day to between 100 and 200 a day.
Operations head Wilfred Lau Cheuk-man said the removal over the next three weeks of the turnstiles at the Kowloon Tong, Mei Foo and Nam Cheong stations would not cause chaos.