About 400 guests and gamblers poured out of a hotel in the centre of Macau early yesterday when it was evacuated because of a fire in a kitchen. The holidaymakers, some of them dressed in pyjamas, covered their faces with towels because of the smoke. Some managed to take their luggage with them as they left the four-star Hotel Presidente. Some guests later complained that hotel staff had not awakened them so they could flee. The fire was reported at about 3am when a ventilation duct in a second-floor kitchen caught fire. Guests smelled smoke and sprinklers activated. 'We were sleeping but were woken up by the strong smell of smoke,' said one Hong Kong guest. 'We immediately fled.' The fire was put out in about 10 minutes. Two women and a fireman were taken to hospital for observation after suffering smoke inhalation. It was believed the duct overheated, causing the fire. There were no suspicious circumstances, firemen said. The hotel arranged for guests to move to other hotels. A member of the front desk said the hotel was back to normal in the morning. 'No facilities were damaged. It was a minor incident.' The 212-room hotel is popular with mainland and Hong Kong tourists. It was almost full over Christmas.