A KMB bus driver has been suspended from driving duties after his double-decker allegedly caused a four-vehicle chain collision that left eight people in hospital yesterday. The man, 58, who has worked at Kowloon Motor Bus for more than 30 years, started work at about 5.30am and was driving service 2F along Un Chau Street in Cheung Sha Wan on his first journey of the day. As his double-decker neared the junction with Tonkin Street at about 6.45am, it failed to brake in time and ran into the back of a red-topped minibus, which crashed into a green-topped minibus and a taxi in front, according to police. 'After the collision, the [red] minibus mounted a pavement and toppled to one side,' said Superintendent Lai Yuk-wah, head of the Kowloon West traffic investigation unit. A KMB spokeswoman said the company had suspended the driver, which was standard practice pending investigation results. She said the six-year-old bus passed an inspection on January 17. A man on the minibus said the double-decker did not slow down and then ran into the back of the vehicle. Mr Lai said initial investigation showed the bus driver was responsible. The KMB vehicle had been towed away for inspection. The superintendent said the crash site, where the speed limit was 50km/h, was not an accident black spot. Police would look into whether the bus was speeding. The two minibus drivers, taxi driver and five minibus passengers were injured. Five women and three men were taken conscious to Caritas Medical Centre. The female driver of the green minibus, 52, was in serious condition and four others were in stable condition.