Police have asked the arrested owner of a car involved in a fatal car crash on the Tolo Highway on Sunday to name the driver, who left the scene after the accident. The parents of the man killed in the accident made a public appeal yesterday for the driver to report to police. A 48-year-old man surnamed Chiu surrendered to police and was arrested 10 hours after the accident, which happened near Deerhill Bay, Tai Po, at about 3.30am on Sunday. But he only confessed to being the owner of the Mercedes-Benz that hit a four-wheel-drive carrying six people. He was released without charge on HK$5,000 bail and must report back to police on June 2. 'The vehicle's owner has received a form which requests him to identify who was the driver during the accident,' a police source said yesterday. The car owner, arrested for dangerous driving causing death, should return the form to police within 21 days. According to the Road Traffic Ordinance, a vehicle's owner should give police details of the driver of the vehicle at the time of an alleged offence. If the owner fails to do so, he or she could face a fine of HK$10,000 and six months' jail. However, the law that requires a vehicle's owner to disclose the identity of a driver has been challenged in the past year. Kowloon City Magistrate David Thomas acquitted journalist Richard Latker of one count of failing to disclose information on demand after Latker's car was caught jumping a red light last year. The Court of Appeal overturned the magistrate's decision in January, and last week the Court of Final Appeal refused Latker's request for a review of his challenge to the city's traffic laws. The parents of the 29-year-old passenger killed in the four-wheel-drive, Jeffrey Ngai Wing-kin, went to Sheung Shui police station yesterday to meet officers at the New Territories North Regional Headquarters and find out details of the investigation. 'The driver is irresponsible,' his mother said. 'It might have been possible to save my son's life if the driver had stayed behind and helped.' North district councillor Edward Lau Kwok-fan, who is helping Ngai's family, said after the meeting with police that Ngai's parents were angry that the driver of the Mercedes-Benz had left the scene after the crash and wanted to know why the car's owner had been accompanied by lawyers when he surrendered himself to police 10 hours after the crash. The victim was the only son in the family. He had just finished a master's degree in surveying and planned to work as a registered surveyor. He was due to marry next year. Three of his friends who were injured in the accident, including his fiancee, Chan Pui-yuk, were in critical condition in Prince of Wales Hospital last night. Ms Chan's pelvis was smashed in the accident. The victims' parents performed a ritual yesterday at the site of their son's death.