The government can expect as many protesters to turn out for the July 1 march as the 150,000-plus who demanded the vindication of the 1989 pro-democracy movement in Victoria Park on Thursday, according to activists. Unionist legislator Lee Cheuk-yan, vice-chairman of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements in China, said he expected at least 200,000 people to demonstrate on July 1 because of the worsening economy and rising demand for democracy. 'Looking at the turnout on June 4, one cannot but expect that more people will vote with their feet on July 1 because many have voiced democratic and livelihood demands in Victoria Park,' Mr Lee said. Police estimated that more than 62,000 took part in Thursday's vigil - although that number did not include those stuck in the streets outside Victoria Park. Among the signs and placards demanding vindication of those killed in and around Beijing's Tiananmen Square in 1989, many were directed at Chief Executive Donald Tsang Yam-kuen, whose administration has seen its popularity plunge because of a series of policy blunders. Financial Secretary John Tsang Chun-wah announced a HK$16.8 billion economic relief package last month, but Democrat lawmaker Cheung Man-kwong said money alone could not quell anger over maladministration. 'People have long learned how to pocket the cash offered by the government but still take to the streets in protest,' Mr Cheung said. 'It is because they don't ask for money alone - but democracy and good governance.' But top officials were apparently unconvinced that the record-breaking turnout would indicate a similar crowd on July 1. A government source said that rather than targeting the government, the people at the vigil in Victoria Park had been commemorating June 4. 'Even though there could be many turning up on July 1, they would be voicing diverse demands rather than seeking to topple the administration,' the source said. Tam Yiu-chung, chairman of the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong, said 'people are free to make their choice'. When asked to comment on the June 4 turnout, Chief Secretary Henry Tang Ying-yen said Hong Kong people were free to air their views. Donald Tsang refused to answer questions yesterday. Ivan Choy Chi-keung, a political scientist at Chinese University, said the June 4 crowd could not be 'automatically transferred' to July 1. But he said people could become angry and protest if officials sparked controversies such as that caused by the chief executive last month when he urged people to make an 'objective assessment' of June 4 in the light of China's economic development. Organisers claimed 47,000 marched on July 1 last year, against a police estimate of 15,500.