The government has decided not to prosecute two bodyguards looking after the daughter of Zimbabwean leader Robert Mugabe who were accused of assaulting two photographers outside her Tai Po home. The Department of Justice said last night it had concluded that the male and female bodyguards protecting 20-year-old Bona Mugabe acted in the way they did because they were 'genuinely concerned for the safety of Miss Mugabe'. The two bodyguards, who have not been named, were accused of assaulting Colin Galloway and Tim O'Rourke on February 13 outside a house in Tai Po where Ms Mugabe is living while studying in the city. The photographers, working for a British newspaper investigating the Mugabe family's links to Hong Kong and East Asia, complained to police after O'Rourke was allegedly grabbed by the neck and Galloway gripped and bruised by a man in his 30s. The incident took place a month after Ms Mugabe's mother Grace allegedly assaulted another photographer who took pictures of her shopping in Tsim Sha Tsui. The Department of Justice later decided she was entitled to diplomatic immunity as the Zimbabwean president's wife. The case involving the bodyguards was classified by police as common assault, and advice was sought from the Department of Justice in March as to whether a prosecution should be brought. In response to questions from the South China Morning Post, a department spokeswoman said the bodyguards 'saw it as their duty to protect Miss Mugabe from any sort of danger, whether actual or perceived'. Ms Mugabe had been about to leave the house on the JC Castle estate in Tai Po to go to university at the time of the incident, the spokeswoman said. Mr Mugabe reportedly bought the house through a middle-man last year. 'In our review of the case, it became clear that the complainees [the bodyguards] were genuinely concerned for the safety of Miss Mugabe,' the spokeswoman said. 'They appeared to have believed that they were acting properly in intercepting the complainants, who they considered to be trespassing, and who in fact had not registered at the guard post when entering the complex.' She said that even though the conduct of the bodyguards 'might have caused the complainants to believe that disproportionate force had been used', the events had to be looked at 'in the round'. 'Miss Mugabe was about to leave the house in a two-car convoy with her security personnel when the complainants suddenly appeared at the scene, and the complainees were apprehensive for her safety in the circumstances which confronted them,' she said. 'Regard, we considered, needed to be had to the difficulty they faced in weighing to a nicety each and every action they took to ensure her safety, particularly when they saw it as their duty to protect Miss Mugabe from any sort of danger, whether actual or perceived.' The Director of Public Prosecutions took outside advice from an expert senior counsel in what the spokeswoman described as an 'abundance of caution' in deciding the case, and was advised that the case against the bodyguards was 'borderline or marginal'.