Thirteen people were injured and 80 residents were forced to flee after a fire broke out in a residential building in Kwai Chung last night. Part of the Ming Tak Building on Ping Fu Path caught fire at about 9pm. The thick smoke billowing from the blaze trapped some residents in their flats. Residents fled the building in fear, some with burns to their faces and hair singed. One woman suffered burns to more than 20 per cent of her skin. Terrified family members hugged each other and wept when reunited outside the building. The Fire Services Department, which mobilised four teams with breathing apparatus, put out the fire by 9.50pm. Ladders were used to free residents trapped inside their flats. Firefighters also carried children and injured adults out of the building. Nine of the injured were taken to Princess Margaret Hospital and the rest to Yan Chai Hospital. Part of Castle Peak Road between Ping Fu Path and Cheung Wing Road was closed due to the fire and at least four bus routes had to be altered. After the fire was put out, the Ming Tak Building was sealed off by investigators for at least an hour. A Fire Services official responsible for the Tsuen Wan district said the blaze broke out on the first floor of the building, where an electricity meter and other items caught fire. He said initial investigation showed the fire was not suspicious but further investigations were needed.