The owners of homes at a Shangahi apartment complex where an unfinished building fell down just over a week ago have accused lawyers representing the developer of 'going through the motions'. The owners yesterday met lawyers, hired by the government and the developer, to discuss compensation claims. 'They represent the developer, so of course they speak for the company, not us,' Shen Li , one of the disgruntled owners, said. The 13-storey building in Minhang district toppled over on June 27, killing one worker. The accident has been blamed on excavation work for an underground car park alongside the building. Ten lawyers interviewed owners yesterday at Luoyang Primary School, close to the Lotus Riverside complex where the accident occurred. Owners of flats in the building that toppled over were given priority, but buyers from the 10 remaining blocks were also seeking refunds. The meetings - the first step of an information-gathering process expected to take several days - came the day after almost 300 homeowners marched on Shanghai government headquarters in a rare public protest by middle-income families. The owners are demanding either full refunds on their apartments plus the same amount in compensation, or that the whole complex be demolished and rebuilt. If the complex is rebuilt, flat owners expect the developer, Shanghai Meidu Property Development Company, to pay for their accommodation in the interim. 'Our requests are very reasonable, but we are disappointed about the progress,' an owner surnamed Li said. 'We do not have access to what the government and the developer are doing. The information is not transparent.' A lawyer for the developer, who gave his name only as Mr Zhu, said he expected the interviews to continue this week. 'I cannot comment on the owners' demands until we know more specific information about how they purchased the apartments.' Ms Shen said she had heard nothing from either the government or the developer. 'The government should take responsibility but they are trying to put things off,' she said. 'We want solutions. Nobody could give a 100-per-cent guarantee that the 10 other buildings are safe. We put all of our money into buying this flat; we do not expect something that's a safety hazard.' An official investigation into the collapse reported on Friday that it had been caused by the construction firm's 'ignorance' in handling the excavation work. It said the remaining blocks were stable and in no immediate danger of collapse. Minhang district officials are investigating allegations that a number of Meidu's key shareholders are Communist Party officials in Meilong town, which ran the company before its privatisation in 2001. Hundreds of homeowners marched through the streets of Shanghai on Saturday demanding refunds on properties they bought in the Lotus Riverside complex. Carrying handwritten signs spelling out their demands, they advanced through Renmin Square, in the heart of the city, chanting: 'Lotus Riverside, refund [our] homes.'