A week after at least 184 people were killed in bloody ethnic riots in Xinjiang , families of the Han Chinese victims mourned their loved ones yesterday. The seventh day since one's death is considered by most Han Chinese a mourning day as they believe this is the day when the ghosts of the dead return home for the last time. For Zou Yuhui, yesterday was another painful reminder of the loss of her parents, killed by rioters on the way home after dinner. 'I am not quite familiar with this tradition, and I have no idea what we should do,' she said. 'We don't have any senior family members to consult now.' Apart from her parents - father Zou Huocai , 69, and mother Fan Silan , 67, Ms Zou also lost her brother Zou Yuqiang , 38, and sister-in-law Wang Zeping , 37. Zou Haoyi, 15, the older son of Zou Yuqiang and Wang, is still in hospital with critical injuries from the attack near their home as they drove home from a restaurant. The couple's four-year-old daughter, Zou Liyang , was the only survivor after being rescued by a Uygur neighbour from the car. In a makeshift mourning hall in the Zou family's garage, a wall draped in a black cloth is backdrop for four portraits. At least two dozen wreaths flanked the entrance of the garage, while friends and families sat in silence and sadness. Family members flew in from the family's hometown in Sichuan and other parts of China to pay their respects. Wang Zeling, Wang Zeping's sister, arrived yesterday from Wuhan . 'I should have prepared some incense and paper offerings,' she said, sobbing. 'The little girl [Zou Liyang] still doesn't know her parents are dead yet. She just told me they had gone off to work and were not home yet. What can I tell her? I could only tell her to study hard and behave, to be a person as good as her parents.' Zou Yuhui said they were still not sure when the four would be cremated as the police said the bodies would be needed for further investigation. Xinjiang authorities banned public gatherings to mark the traditional day of mourning yesterday for the dead from the ethnic clashes. The ban showed authorities were still extremely concerned about further unrest, after Muslim Uygurs rampaged through the streets and attacked Han Chinese a week ago. Officials updated the death toll on Friday to 184 - 137 Han Chinese, 46 Uygurs and one Hui - but many in both the Han and Uygur communities think the figures are considerably higher. Mahbrat Mullawuti has not seen her eldest son in almost a week, and the strain has driven her almost to breaking point. 'I have not been able to eat or sleep for the whole week because I just think of my son,' Ms Mullawuti said. 'How can I enjoy food when I do not know if he is alive or dead?' Tears well in her eyes as she recalls how Kuxtar Turugon, 19, left home at 7pm last Monday to inform the restaurant where he worked, just around the corner, that he wanted to stay at home for safety's sake. Nothing has been seen or heard of him since. 'I went out to look for him half an hour later, but there was no sign,' said his stepfather, Wumar Abdullah. The family registered him missing on Friday - the first day they dared venture out of their housing estate - but have so far heard nothing from the authorities. 'Our only hope is that he has been arrested, because a lot of young men have been taken away over the past week,' Mr Abdullah said. 'But still we worry he may have been killed in retaliation by Han Chinese. At the very least, we want to find his body so that we could know for sure.' 'My son is a good boy,' the boy's mother said. 'He would never get involved in violence.'