A new chief has been named for a committee that vets post-retirement jobs for civil servants after it was heavily criticised for its handling of former housing chief Leung Chin-man's controversial job with New World China Land last year. Lawyer and former legislator Moses Cheng Mo-chi today begins a one-year term as chairman of the Advisory Committee on Post-service Employment of Civil Servants. He replaces Mr Justice Pang Kin-kee, who headed the committee for six years. The appointment comes a month after the government appointed Mr Cheng to succeed Mr Justice Pang as chairman of a similar board which vets the outside employment of former chief executives and politically appointed officials. Mr Cheng is also the chairman of the Betting and Lotteries Commission, the Education Commission, and the Independent Commission Against Corruption's citizens advisory committee on community relations. Hearings by the Legislative Council select committee investigating Mr Leung's hiring have revealed that, of 400 cases it received during Mr Justice Pang's tenure, the committee met to discuss only five. It had vetted Mr Leung's application only by circulating government papers among members. The government also announced it was reappointing businessman Simon Ip Sik-on and senior consultant Marina Wong Yu-pok to the advisory committee for a further year. Yesterday's appointments came a day before former secretary for housing, planning and lands Michael Suen Ming-yeung, now the education minister, was to testify before the inquiry. However, scheduled appearances by New World China Land's chairman, Henry Cheng Kar-shun, and executive director Stewart Leung Chi-kin tomorrow may be postponed because of a legal challenge. Mr Justice Andrew Cheung Kui-nung will today hear the pair's bid for a judicial review of an order that they appear before the select committee. Mr Cheng and Mr Leung asked the court to adjourn the proceedings until after the completion of a legal battle between the government and a New World subsidiary. In their court filing, dated Friday, they argued that their reputations and civil rights would be trampled by the inquiry. The Legco select committee has appointed senior counsel Gerard McCoy and barrister Lo Pui-yin, both prominent constitutional lawyers, as its representatives. Members met the two counsels yesterday to prepare for today's court hearing. Deputy chairman Lee Wing-tat said afterwards that the committee was confident in meeting the legal challenge. 'Legco is empowered by the Basic Law and the Legco [Powers and Privileges] Ordinance to summon officials and citizens before an inquiry,' he said. Legco president Tsang Yok-sing said of the lawsuit: 'As long as we follow all procedures and fully respect the judicial independence in Hong Kong, I do not think it will affect citizens' confidence in the Legco.' The New World executives testified twice before the inquiry in April. Legislators have warned they could face arrest if they fail to answer a summons to appear again. The Legislative Council has earmarked HK$1.5 million for litigation in the current financial year. A spokeswoman for its secretariat said it could apply for additional support from the government if it was short of funds for legal proceedings.