Children bid farewell to their premature summer holiday yesterday, with some kindergartens reopening after the swine flu outbreak forced them to close early for the annual break. While about 70 per cent of kindergartens were scheduled to reopen next month, Kindergarten Association vice-chairwoman Wisa Liu Fung-heung said a number of schools would resume classes this week or next Monday. Yesterday at a kindergarten in Sha Tin, pupils enjoyed a day back at school by drawing, singing and taking part in games. They had their temperatures taken and stepped on a disinfection mat before entering the premises. Visits by parents were not allowed, a staff member at the Creative Kindergarten said. She said that while classrooms could accommodate 30 youngsters, the kindergarten only had 15 children per class, to reduce the chance of cross-infection. Under guidelines from the Centre for Health Protection, schools must inform the centre when three or more children in one class develop flu symptoms. Schools could then be closed for seven days for disinfection. Ms Liu said the situation had improved a lot since the beginning of the outbreak. 'We did not have any guidelines then.' All primary schools and kindergartens were closed from June 11 after the city reported its first cluster outbreak. The government announced late last month that schools could begin their new academic year as scheduled. A total of 191 new swine flu cases were confirmed yesterday, taking the total to 5,809. A total of 69 patients were treated in hospitals, with four in critical condition, one serious and 64 stable. The new cases involved 92 males and 99 females aged between three months and 73, including two public hospital staff.