Four women were taken to hospital and about 400 residents were evacuated from public housing in Tai Po after a television burst into flames. A male tenant had been watching a soccer match in his 28th floor home at Pok Tai House, Pok Hong Estate. He turned off the set after 5am and went out for some exercise. His wife and two children were woken by smoke and fled the flat before firemen arrived. His 29-year-old daughter, who suffered minor leg injuries while leaving the flat, was in stable condition in hospital. Her mother, 59, and two neighbours suffered smoke inhalation. They were discharged after treatment. One neighbour said she was awakened by a loud bang. 'I thought it was a burst tyre. But I detected a burning smell and opened the door to find out the next door was on fire.' Another neighbour said the corridor was filled with smoke and he and his family had covered their mouths with wet towels. More than 60 firefighters battled the flames for more than half an hour. Police suspect a short circuit in the television caused the blaze. The Electrical and Mechanical Services Department said the 32-inch LCD television was under examination. Its spokesman urged people not to leave their sets on standby mode for long periods.