John Tsang praises wife's quick thinking after heart attack

PUBLISHED : Monday, 05 October, 2009, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 05 October, 2009, 12:00am

Financial Secretary John Tsang Chun-wah thanks his lucky stars that his wife is a nurse, because she sent him to hospital immediately after he felt pains in his chest last weekend.

It turned out he had suffered a heart attack.

While in hospital last week, he wrote in his blog: 'I and my wife have been together for decades, [we are an] old couple that have faced many difficulties together. Of course, [I] understand her preference, character and temperament, but I have never thought that it's so important to have a wife with medical knowledge.

'For those whose partners are nurses, you are very lucky.'

In the latest entry uploaded yesterday he describes what happened before he was admitted to Queen Mary Hospital last Sunday.

Tsang said he felt tired when he flew back from the United States after the Group of 20 leaders' summit. He went home and had a shower, and planned to have dinner with his family. But he suddenly had chest pains and broke out in a cold sweat.

'I thought there was a problem with my stomach and said I needed to rest a few minutes before having a meal,' the financial secretary wrote.

His wife realised something was wrong, and checked his pulse and blood pressure. She then called an ambulance to take him to hospital, where he had an angioplasty and stayed for almost a week.

'The doctor told me later that if not for my wife, who had medical knowledge and was decisive, it might have affected my condition and led to serious consequences.'

Tsang, 58, said he had been healthy and was able to make a quick recovery because he had loved sport since he was young. He was discharged on Saturday, with his doctor saying he had made a full recovery. Tsang said he felt even better than he did before, and he was confident he could continue to serve Hong Kong.

'After resting in hospital for a while, I am now psychologically and physically almost ready, and can't wait to get back to the office to work as soon as possible,' he wrote.

Apart from thanking the medical staff and those concerned about his health, he apologised to the public for having his work schedule disrupted.

'In the future, I wish everyone and I can stay healthy and work hard to contribute to the society, to live a splendid life,' he wrote.