A HK$8 million windfall in television fees awaits the Hong Kong Football Association for their three home matches in the 2011 Asian Cup qualifiers, but the fans may not be happy. The deal was offered by a Japan television station, with Hong Kong versus Japan on November 18 as its main target. Hong Kong also host Bahrain and Yemen in group A of the qualifying tournament. The income will ease the financial problems of the association as it faces a potential deficit of up to HK$6 million this season. However, the television station has requested the match start at 6.30pm to fit its live coverage time in Japan, which is one hour ahead of Hong Kong. But the timing is awful for home fans, according to one of the three Hong Kong team managers, Steven Lo Kit-sing, as the fans may not be able to catch the match in time after work. Lo, who is also the convenor of South China, called for a change of time to the normal 8pm in order to get more fans to support the team, who were hammered 6-0 by Japan in the away leg last week. More than 20,000 fans turned up to watch Lo's South China defeat Neftchi of Uzbekistan in the AFC Cup quarter-finals at Hong Kong Stadium last month. The match started at 8pm. But FA chairman Brian Leung Hung-tak hoped the fans could understand the situation as the association had no other choice. 'Our hands are tied because we are talking about a large amount of income, especially as the association is facing financial difficulties this season,' said the football chief. 'That's why we have agreed to start the match at an earlier time. 'I know some people may not be too happy with the arrangements but this is not unusual in football as in many other parts of the world, including some top-class competitions, football matches have to start in a time that fits television coverage.' But having heard the response of the fans, Leung said they had already asked the television station to change the kick-off time to 7pm. 'We have made the request, but if they insist to start the match at 6.30pm, there is nothing we can do about it and just hope the fans understand and spend a bit more effort to come to the match at an earlier time,' he said. Meanwhile, Leung said he would like to give younger players an opportunity in the forthcoming East Asian Games. The association has named a 29-member training squad, including more than 10 players who are also members of the senior team. 'Our under-23 players have been preparing for the Games for two years, including a training stint in Croatia last summer, and they should be given the priority,' said Leung. At the last Games in Macau in 2005, football was contested by under-23 players and it was not until this summer the Hong Kong Games organisers decided not to set any age limit for the tournament, hoping other top teams such as South Korea and Japan would send their full internationals to attract the crowds. Leung said he had heard nothing about the make-up of the Japan and South Korea teams, but it is unlikely the two Asian powerhouses would send their full international squads. Hong Kong have been handed a tough draw against the two sides in the group stage of the Games.