The Zhang family, with three children whose school has shut its doors, are the kind of citizens the central government is trying to help in the face of widening inequality in access to basic education. Premier Wen Jiabao pledged yesterday to help solve the problems of rural migrant workers in cities and expressed concern over the increasing number of second-generation migrants - children of rural migrants who were born and grew up in cities. But help has yet to come for the two daughters of Zhang Shufu and his son. A week ago, the school for migrant children they attended in Shangezhuang in Beijing's Chaoyang district was forced to close for government-initiated redevelopment. Zhang, 39, a migrant dealer of second-hand goods in Beijing, said he had asked if there were any vacancies at other schools nearby, including a public school, but to no avail. Watching her nine-year-old brother play with several other out-of-school pupils, Zhang's second daughter Zhang Manpei, 11, said she did not know how long she would have to wait before her parents could find a school for her, her 10-year-old sister and their brother. Manpei said she missed her classmates, who had either been sent back to their hometowns or left the shanty town for other schools. 'I want to stay in Beijing with my parents and I want to go back to school, no matter what kind of school I can get into,' she said. Manpei's school, the Yuying School in Shangezhuang village, is one of dozens of schools for children from migrant families in Beijing marked for demolition in January. Up to 10,000 pupils have had to leave. Yuying School principal Yang Shujiu said nearly half of the 400 pupils from his school were sent back to their home towns because their parents could not find a new school for their children, a further 100 left for other schools, and parents of the remaining pupils are still desperately searching, one week after the new semester began on March 1. Owners of the schools, who invested hundreds of thousands of yuan, have not received compensation from the government, on the grounds they are not licensed, though they have been allowed to operate for years. Zhang had to send his oldest daughter to his home town last year so she could continue her high school studies, because the Zhangs are not registered as Beijing residents. Apparently in response to mounting pressure, the Chaoyang District Education Commission promised that not one pupil would have to leave school. A CDEC unit in charge of migrant children's schools issued a notice on March 2 via the schools that listed township offices where parents who had yet to find a school for their children could register. However many parents, including Manpei's father, said they were not aware of the notice. Jiang Haiqian of Friends of New Citizen, a rights advocacy group, said the notice appeared to be a public relations tactic after media scrutiny over the past two weeks. She said staff at a Jinzhan township office listed in the notice said on Thursday they were not aware of their registration duties. Wang Hai , owner of the now closed Taoyuan School in Shangezhuang, which had 900 pupils, said at least 70 parents were still in contact with him, asking if the school could still open. 'They told us about the demolition order back in January, but they have only started asking parents to register now,' Wang said. 'The gap tells us how willing they are to help the pupils.'