A viral e-mail claiming Chinese women tried to abduct a Western boy in Ocean Park was triggered by a real-life incident in which a frightened two-year-old boy was separated from his mother and feared someone was trying to take him away. The expatriate child wandered away from his mother and twin siblings for about four minutes in the Kids' World section on February 21 and was found by staff with two Chinese women crouching next to him, park chairman Allan Zeman said. No complaint was made at the time of the seemingly trivial incident but the mother alerted Ocean Park and police days later saying her little boy had since said: 'Ocean Park bad. Two women took me away from mum.' An investigation by park staff into the incident found no evidence of any attempted abduction and concluded that the Chinese women, who witnesses say were not touching the child, appeared to have been simply trying to help the lost boy. An e-mail wrongly claiming two Chinese women attempted to abduct a two-year-old boy in Ocean Park on Friday, removing him from his stroller and putting a hat or scarf over his head before being stopped by a passer-by, went to thousands of inboxes on Sunday and Monday. Signed by a woman called Diane claiming to be a close friend of the mother, it was initiated by a mother who heard a partial version of the mother's story in a bar in Stanley on Saturday night, the South China Morning Post has learned. Ocean Park called in police and issued a statement on Monday saying no such incident took place last Friday and calling the e-mail 'unsubstantiated and unfounded'. The statement made no mention of the February 21 incident. The mother and father of the boy, who have requested anonymity, visited Ocean Park chief executive Tom Mehrmann yesterday who reassured them about security at the park and gave details of new CCTV cameras installed in Kids World since the incident. The couple, who Mr Mehrmann said were reassured to the extent that they planned to take the boy back to the park for his third birthday in April, took a tour of Kids World to see the security arrangements for themselves. 'She and her husband are wonderful people,' Mr Mehrmann said. 'The mother is quite upset about how the story has gone so sideways. The circulation of the e-mail is causing her a great deal of consternation.' He stressed that despite what the little boy said, there was nothing to support the idea that the incident was an attempted abduction. 'There is absolutely no video evidence or any witness statements to support it,' he said. 'What we have is a mother and child who became separated and were reunited within minutes, and there was a happy reunion.' Mr Zeman said there had been no reason to make a connection between the incident on February 21 and the claims contained in the e-mail. Although the woman had gone to police, he said, she had not made a formal report and simply asked police to speak to Ocean Park about security. The mother claimed she had been told by a security guard that the incident was the second of its kind, but Mr Zeman said the guard had been referring not to any attempted abduction but simply another case of a lost child.