NURSES are set to launch their second phase of protest action after union leaders yesterday accused the Government and the Hospital Authority of failing to ease staff shortages. Although details of the latest move have not yet been finalised, the 11,000-strong Association of Hong Kong Nursing Staff is planning to launch a poster campaign in public hospitals next Monday. The union will decide on the message of the campaign after meeting authority chief executive Dr Yeoh Eng-kiong today. Association chairman Michael Ho Mun-ka said: ''The poster will contain sincere advice to the public although the message will depend on what happens at the meeting. ''We will tone the message up or down depending on the outcome of the meeting, which we believe is only fair to the authority.'' A spokesman for the authority said it would not have any objection to the poster campaign. ''We fully understand the feelings and concerns of nursing staff and I don't think we would do anything to intervene in this action. We are grateful that the nurses are taking action which will not harm patients or hospital services.'' The union might consider taking some other form of supporting action such as work to rule. A poster campaign was one of the union's original options when the dispute began a month ago after Secretary of Health and Welfare Elizabeth Wong Chien Chi-lien told the Legislative Council there had been no complaints about nursing shortages. The first phase of industrial action - a ''broken heart'' badge campaign which was supported by thousands of nurses - officially ended on Saturday.