Bob Dylan fans' hopes of seeing their idol in Hong Kong are blowin' in the wind. His East Asian tour has been cancelled because planned concerts in Beijing and Shanghai have fallen foul of the Ministry of Culture. Taiwanese entertainment firm Brokers Brothers Herald had planned to extend Dylan's multi-city Japanese tour last month to elsewhere in East Asia. Among the 68-year-old's added stops were to be Beijing, Shanghai, Taiwan, South Korea and Hong Kong. The Hong Kong date - April 8 - was announced in January, but a lack of promotion soon aroused fans' suspicions, and their fears were realised. 'China's Ministry of Culture did not give us permission to stage concerts in Beijing and Shanghai, so we had no alternative but to scrap plans for a Southeast Asian tour,' the promoter's chief of operations, Jeffrey Wu, said. 'With Beijing and China ruled out, it was not possible for him just to play concerts in only Hong Kong, South Korea and Taiwan. The chance to play in China was the main attraction for him. When that fell through everything else was called off.' Wu said getting clearance for any international musical acts to play on the mainland had become harder since Icelandic star Bjork's pro-Tibet outburst at a Shanghai concert angered Beijing's cultural guardians two years ago. The ministry said it would tighten controls over foreign singers and other performers after Bjork chanted 'Tibet! Tibet!' after performing her song Declare Independence. China has ruled Tibet since 1951. Bjork's performance, which the ministry said 'hurt the feelings of Chinese people', made it harder for foreign acts to perform on the mainland, Wu said. 'What Bjork did definitely made life very difficult for other performers. They are very wary of what will be said by performers on stage now.' Wu also believes Dylan's colourful past may have made him persona non grata on the mainland. As a politically engaged singer and sometime counterculture icon, he has played at concerts for, and supported, various humanitarian campaigns.