The bosses of mainland coal mines will have to enter the pits with their workers every day under new regulations announced by the State Council in a bid to clean up the industry. The regulations also say that all miners will need to pass safety tests before being allowed to work underground. At least six people died in an explosion at a closed-down mine in Henan province yesterday morning, a day after a State Council working conference at which Premier Wen Jiabao ordered mine bosses to work side by side with miners. The explosion injured 34 other people. Xinhua reported the blast took place in Pingdingshan at 5am. Three of those killed were maintenance staff and security guards. The identities of the other three were unknown. It said 15 of the 34 injured people were nearby residents and the rest were maintenance and security staff. It was the second deadly mine accident in the city in less than a month. A mine explosion on June 21 killed at least 49 people. That led to Pingdingshan's mayor being suspended from duty last week. On Sunday, nine miners were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning at a pit in nearby Luoyang . Wen told the meeting that mine safety records could be improved by forcing managers to share the same risks as miners, and that mine bosses should take charge of work in the pits by descending into shafts with the workers. The conference also vowed to introduce stricter safety standards and a supervision system for the mining industry, as well as a more efficient rescue system to improve emergency responses to accidents. Mines on the mainland are notorious for their failure to adhere to safety standards and their high fatality rates. In March, at least 38 miners died when the Wangjialing Coal Mine in Shanxi province flooded. A week-long rescue effort saved 115 other miners. Mainland work safety authorities reiterate safety regulations every time a mine tragedy occurs, but very few mining bosses obey the regulations because of widespread corruption and lax supervision.