Lawmakers have rejected a motion to use their special powers to compel the government to produce all of its correspondence with Henderson Land over the mysterious cancellation of 20 of 24 sales at Henderson's luxury 39 Conduit Road development in Mid-Levels. A motion moved by the Democratic Party's Lee Wing-tat - seeking to empower the housing panel to use the Legislative Council (Powers and Privileges) Ordinance to order Secretary for Transport and Housing Eva Cheng to submit all correspondence between the Lands Department and the developer relating to the case - was vetoed yesterday. The motion was supported by most pan-democrats, and opposed by the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong and pro-business lawmakers. The health services sector's Dr Joseph Lee Kok-long was the only pan-democrat who voted against the motion. The League of Social Democrats and the Federation of Trade Unions did not vote. With 14 votes for, 19 against and one abstention, Lee's motion, presented at the last council meeting of the current legislative session, was defeated by both geographical and functional constituency lawmakers. Questions have been raised over the cancellation of the sales at the development. They were among 24 high-priced transactions publicised by Henderson in a move many saw as a fraudulent attempt to boost prices. One of the cancelled deals involved a duplex which Henderson reported was sold for a record-high HK$88,000 per square foot. The subsequent cancellation of the deal triggered accusations of market manipulation. Doubts have also been raised about the revelation that buyers forfeited only five per cent of the reported purchase prices and were not asked to compensate the developer for any losses on resale. By July 12, the Transport and Housing Bureau had submitted to legislators copies of nine letters from the department to the developer which inquired about the transactions in question, and 11 replies from the developer to the department. Cheng said yesterday that the motion was unnecessary because the administration had already submitted all the letters concerned to Legco and there were no more it could provide. 'The government absolutely does not tolerate any fake transactions,' the housing chief said, and the administration had been co-operative in all meetings with lawmakers on the matter. She also declined to comment on details of the case, citing an ongoing police investigation. In a high-profile action, officers from the police's commercial crime bureau searched the offices of the developer and a related law firm on Wednesday. But Lee was unconvinced that the information produced by the government was exhaustive, saying the bureau had only supplied more documents after he threatened to seek use of the ordinance. Speaking ahead of the vote Lee said: 'If this resolution is passed, the minister will be subject to criminal liability if she withholds any information from Legco.'