A retired soldier who claims he is owed benefits by the Philippine government has threatened to 'do a Mendoza'. Rodolfo Noel Quimbo, director general of the Senate blue ribbon committee, said that for months his office has been getting calls from retired army technical sergeant Charmie Palencia demanding favourable action in his case. Palencia was removed from the military in 1988 but reinstated in 1994. He is asking that this period be covered by his retirement benefits. On September 1, nine days after dismissed police officer Rolando Mendoza seized the tour bus and was shot dead after killing eight Hong Kong hostages, Palencia called again and said if he did not get satisfaction he would emulate Mendoza. In a letter to the defence department, Quimbo noted that before the August 23 hostage massacre, Palencia would just threaten to go on a protest at the Luneta - where Mendoza staged his hijack to demand his reinstatement. But, Quimbo said: 'We were alarmed when he informed the staff that if and when no action had been made relative to his complaint, he would do what Mendoza did.' Quimbo said he had already written to the commander of the Philippine Army asking about the status of Palencia's complaint.