Medicine manufacturer Europharm has been sued for unspecified damages by a representative of a six-year-old who died with traces of fungus in his intestine after taking one of the company's drugs. Eva Tang Yim-wah, administrator of the boy, Lee Ming-hon, filed the claim on Friday at the High Court, against Europharm Laboratories Company. The Hospital Authority, which runs Queen Mary Hospital, where the boy died, was named as a defendant in the personal injury action. The claim comes just months after an inquest into a possible link between the death of eight patients, including Ming-hon, and the drug Purinol - a brand of Allopurinol - produced by Europharm and contaminated by the fungus Rhizopus microsporus. The inquest determined that Ming-hon and two others had died by misadventure. Traces of fungus were found in their intestines. The filing seeks damages for the accident that caused Ming-hon's death, which it says arose from negligence and breaches of statutory duties and professional codes by Europharm and the Hospital Authority. The Coroner's Court returned verdicts in the deaths of the eight people in early August, finding three, including the boy, had died of misadventure and three from natural causes. An open verdict was given for the remaining two patients. The eight included five men, two women, and the boy. They had suffered from leukaemia or lymphoma, and died between October 2008 and March last year. Allorpurinol is used to reduce complications of chemotherapy by lowering the amount of uric acid in cancer patients. Traces of the fungus were found in the intestines of Ming-hon and two other patients, aged 38 and 42. Autopsies conducted on the eight people after their deaths showed there were traces of fungus in their stomach or intestines. Further DNA analysis identified Rhizopus microsporus in five of the deceased. The head of microbiology at Hong Kong University, professor Yuen Kwok-yung said during the inquest that the production process had facilitated the growth of the fungus. Fungal infections were usually found in the lungs and brain, not the intestines, he said at the autopsy. Europharm could not be reached for comment yesterday.