ITALIAN fashion-wear manufacturer Salvatore Ferragamo is taking a soft but steady approach to expansion in China. The company plans to open a store in Beijing, its third in China. The first China location opened in Shenzhen last November and the second in Shanghai last month. Shanghai is generally held as the largest commercial centre in China's east coast. ''We're not looking for aggressive marketing,'' said Leonardo Ferragamo, head of Europe and Far East markets. He said the company was more focused on presenting the right image and product for each market. China and Hong Kong combined account for three per cent of total sales. Asia accounts for 15 per cent of total sales. The turnover in Hong Kong rises at 35 per cent annually. The company's turnover last year totalled US$200 million, a 50 per cent increase from 1992 figures. It forecasts a 35 per cent increase next year. While China was promising in the near future, Mr Ferragamo said it wanted to define the emerging consumer group and raise awareness of its product before embarking on more aggressive expansion. ''China is a country of phenomenal expectations and many are expecting phenomenal things from China,'' he said. ''We are looking to monitor China and to identify selective clients.'' Low-scale and focused marketing techniques are used for China. This entails direct mailing, fashion shows and personalised service. The company is considering a number of different sites in Beijing. Once the location is decided, the company would begin monitoring to identify clients, Mr Ferragamo said. The company is 100 per cent owned and controlled by the Ferragamo family. All products are made only in Italy. Ferragamo produces and distributes men's and women's wear.