GOVERNOR Chris Patten will leave on July 24 for a five-week break, his longest stretch outside Hong Kong to date, that will take him to Britain and France. Mr Patten and his family will spend four weeks in France after a week in London meeting ministers and Foreign Office officials. His spokesman, Mike Hanson, said the itinerary would be confirmed next week. The break will come after weeks of intensive lobbying by Mr Patten that resulted in the Legislative Council accepting his political package on June 30. ''They are going to France for a private visit. I don't know where in France. He must be left alone, he must have his holiday,'' Mr Hanson said. The Pattens will be joined by daughters Alice, 14, who is at Island School, Laura, 19, and Kate, 21, who live in Britain. The family is not expected to be joined by British journalist Jonathan Dimbleby, whose controversial interview with Prince Charles was aired in Hong Kong last week, and his family. The Dimblebys and Pattens shared a holiday in Italy last year. Mr Hanson said the family will not visit Bath, Mr Patten's former constituency where he sold his cottage last week. Mr Hanson also denied reports that plans were under way for the June 30, 1997, ceremony marking the handover to Chinese rule. The royal yacht Britannia was said to have been booked and Prince Charles was said to be planning to be aboard. ''It's just speculation,'' Mr Hanson said. Staff at Government House threw a second anniversary party for Mr and Mrs Patten in a Chinese restaurant in Sha Tin at the weekend. The Pattens arrived in Hong Kong on July 9, 1992.