THE number of teams participating at the International Cricket Sixes on October 1-2 is likely to be cut according to senior member of the organising committee, Papu Butani. Butani said time and the playing conditions at the Kowloon Cricket Club would not permit the third Hong Kong Sixes to feature 12 teams - the nine Test playing nations, Canada, Holland and Hong Kong. ''My personal view is that time will not permit us to stick to the original plan of featuring 12 teams unless we have an extra day,'' said Butani, director of Cricket World International, yesterday. On Friday, organisers decided to shift the tournament from the Hong Kong Stadium back to the KCC, due to the poor state of the pitch. The move, which Butani described as prudent considering the circumstances, will make it difficult for the organisers to schedule a playing format whereby 12 teams can play. Last year at the KCC, nine teams divided into three groups played. Play began at 9 am with the final game starting at 4.30 pm. Since 45 minutes is allotted for each game, Butani fears that there will not be enough time to devise a schedule to accommodate 12 teams. ''At the Stadium we were going to use the floodlights. Even if we start at 8.30 am, we will find it difficult to complete the matches,'' said Butani. Organisers are already counting the cost of the move back to the KCC. It is understood a conservative count would be a loss of a couple of millions of dollars. ''We were targeting a crowd of around 15,000 people at the Stadium. At the KCC we can only accommodate about 4,000 paying spectators,'' said Butani. Cricket as a whole will also suffer. Organiser, sponsors and local cricket authorities had hoped to use the Sixes as a vehicle to promote the game. There were plans to sell tickets at a nominal cost ($20) to around 5,000 schoolchildren, including those from Chinese schools. ''All those young students will now be deprived of watching because there is no way the KCC will be able to hold all of them,'' said Butani. ''I think it was a good decision to move back to the KCC. If the ground at the Stadium was not up to scratch, we would have got a lot of bad publicity. A lot of good players from overseas are coming, all of them professionals, and it would not have been wise for the tournament to have got a bad name,'' added Butani. He said that the deposit which the organisers had paid to book the Stadium would most likely be left for next year.