THE Shenzhen Government has stepped up its control on publications by setting a system of censorship. All news broadcasts and publications will be censored by a new group, the mainland's China News Agency said yesterday. The first batch of part-time staff was employed on Tuesday, it said. The new group is chaired by the head of the Propaganda Bureau of the municipal Government, Shao Hanqing, and made up of members of the Propaganda, Information and Broadcast bureaus. The new system was set up under the direction of the Communist Party's Propaganda Department and the Guangdong provincial Propaganda Bureau. Shenzhen has 10 newspapers, 23 periodicals, one publication company, two audio-visual production companies and four radio and television companies (including cable TV), the agency said. Meanwhile, a journalist who sued police for illegally detaining him and confiscating his film lost his case and must pay a court fee of 2,010 yuan, (HK$1,806), the state-run China Youth News said. Democracy and Legal System Magazine reporter Zhu Kexin sued the Dahao branch of the Public Security Bureau in Shantou, Guangdong, for illegally detaining him for 11 hours and confiscating his film while he was investigating local government corruption in mid-July. But the Haiding regional court rejected the case because the police had been given approval to question Zhu. The court also ruled police had not abused their power during the arrest, the newspaper said. Zhu and a colleague were in Dahao investigating a letter to the magazine's editor claiming local officials had rigged a village council election last year and embezzled large sums from a government land fund.