MARINE Police arrested six suspected smugglers believed to be members of a multi-million dollar syndicate moving used cars to the mainland. Thirty cars totalling about $300,000 were seized, along with a rusty 15-metre lighter. The vessel carrying the cars was stopped by Marine North officers on Monday for an inspection off Bluff Island. Although police suspected the cars were being smuggled to China it and the men aboard were released after no evidence was found. At 8 pm the next day, the owner of the lighter reported the vessel stolen from Yau Ma Tei typhoon shelter and, because it had been stopped just a day earlier, police grew suspicious. Inquiries, however, revealed that none of the cars was stolen. But when the owner and two employees of the shipping company the vessel was registered to were questioned, they allegedly admitted that the cars were being smuggled to China. Three other alleged ring members - the owner of the used cars and two crew members - were picked up yesterday afternoon. The arrested men range in age from 33 to 46. Marine Regional Crime Unit chief inspector Wong Tak-ming said three other alleged members of the ring were arrested on June 25 in similar circumstances, carrying 26 used cars. The men were charged with filing a false report and conspiracy to smuggle. Mr Wong said despite the arrests, it was believed the syndicate was still active. ''There may be a mastermind behind the scenes who is still working,'' Mr Wong said. ''We know that it has been quite active for some time.''