ACTING Governor Anson Chan Fang On-sang is confident that China's move to pass a resolution on the disbandment of the territory's three-tier political structure in 1997 will not adversely affect the district board polls. ''It is quite clear from the fact that we have a record number of nominations to participate in September's district board elections that the public has faith in the electoral system,'' she said yesterday. ''They believe that this is a fair and open system and through this system will be elected those who can best represent their interests.'' Mrs Chan made the remarks one day after the Chinese National People's Congress Standing Committee began discussing a resolution that states the three-tier structure will be dissolved on July 1, 1997. The top legislators are set to approve the resolution - initiated by a group of 32 Hong Kong and Guangdong NPC deputies at an annual plenum in March - during its current eight-day meeting. Mrs Chan maintained that the issue was a matter for the NPC. But she emphasised that any decision to be taken by the Chinese side should serve the best interests of Hong Kong people. Nevertheless, Mrs Chan insisted that the present electoral arrangements complied with the Joint Declaration and the previous understandings reached between the British and the Chinese governments. China was adamant that the three-tier structure should be re-constituted after 1997 because it violated the Joint Declaration, the Basic Law and the previous accords between the two governments. Director of Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office Lu Ping said earlier this week he was pessimistic about cordial talks between Vice-Premier Qian Qichen and British Foreign Secretary Douglas Hurd in New York later next month. Mrs Chan, however, was hoping that the high-level talks would lead to discussion on future co-operation on transitional matters. Meanwhile, Secretary for Economic Services Gordon Siu Kwing-chue yesterday stressed that Britain was sincere in striking an early deal with China on the financial arrangements for the Chek Lap Kok airport plan. He said experts at the Sino-British Joint Liaison Group were still in contact on the draft agreement on how to fund the project. Mr Siu said they hoped to finalise the financial accord before the Qian-Hurd meeting, but was noncommittal on whether that could be done.