AN INDEPENDENT report has blamed the Urban Council for an accident at the Hong Kong Space Museum in which a teenage boy was seriously injured, the Sunday Morning Post can reveal. Yip Wai-fung, 14, suffered neck and head injuries on August 11 after witnesses said the belt of the Multi-Axis Chair - a space-flight simulator - in which the student was sitting came loose, throwing him around inside the machine. The report concluded that the incident was caused entirely by human error. The independent study, conducted by Ajah Engineering and Surveyors, showed that all parts of the machine functioned properly. It suggests three possible causes for the accident, all related to human error, implying negligence on the part of the machine's two operators. Last night, the victim's furious family said they would consider suing the Urban Council for compensation. His mother, Yip Nan-chin, said they were especially angry at the council's attitude towards them. 'The museum staff have only visited my son twice and then disappeared - it seems they don't really care about his case,' she said, adding they would take the case to court if the boy suffered any permanent disability or injury. Wai-fung is still in hospital undergoing daily physiotherapy as he cannot move his neck. Mrs Yip said he suffered partial memory loss and could not recall even minor things concerning school and his family. The report, to be released on September 28, recommends the Urban Council and Urban Services Department introduce tighter safety precautions and insist every passenger wears a helmet. It states that all parts of the Multi-Axis Chair, including the seat, safety belt, locking-pin and safety clip, which double locks the belt, were in good working order. The report ruled out any mechanical problems and suggested the operators' negligence was the major cause of the accident. It was possible the operators failed to lock the safety belt, meaning it was only loosely fastened around the boy's body. Both had claimed after the accident that it had been well locked. It was also possible, although less likely, that the safety clip was not properly locked as a further safeguard. The final option suggested a piece of string from the belt became accidentally attached to the operator while he secured the safety lock. As he moved away from the machine, this may have loosened the locking pin. However, the report said the chances of this happening were also low. As well as proposing all passengers on the machine wear a helmet, it said a second safety belt was needed to ensure passengers remained secure if the first one failed. The report also said the safety lock should be checked by both chair operators in future. At present, one checks the lock while the other operates the machine. But the new suggestion would lower the chances of mistakes passing unnoticed. One Urban Council member suggested there should be clear instructions to both passengers and operators on the use of the machine, which was designed to give people a feel for the training astronauts undergo. 'The operators should be given some rest periods, or they should work shifts,' he said. 'In that way, they can work better and accidents caused by negligence could be minimised.' The report has been ready for weeks, but the municipal council delayed its release because of insurance complications.