THE Government is refusing to reveal the identity of Jardines' unsuccessful rivals for the Stonecutters Island naval base contract, despite a demand for information from China. Finance officials said they would not disclose details because it would betray the confidence of the bidders, and discourage them from tendering for future contracts. Beijing submitted a formal request for the information last Friday, following the Sunday Morning Post 's revelation that the $790 million contract had been won by Jardine-owned Gammon Construction Limited. A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman said Beijing should have been consulted in advance and now expected to receive full details of the bidding. Governor Chris Patten and Chief Secretary Anson Chan Fang On-sang have so far dodged directly answering this request by publicly pledging to provide more details on 'the Government's general tendering procedures'. But finance officials yesterday disclosed it would be impossible to pass over the names of the six unsuccessful bidders for the contract - or reveal whether any were mainland companies. 'We couldn't possibly disclose the losing bids,' one said. 'This is commercially sensitive information, that could be of considerable value to their competitors, and which was given to us in the belief that it would not be disclosed.' Government sources said the administration might instead brief Beijing on the amounts bid by Jardines' rivals - but without revealing either their identities or other details of the bids. China is thought to be suspicious of the awarding of the contract to Gammon because of its general hostility towards Jardines which has also led it to block the British hong's involvement in the Container Terminal No 9 contract. The local leftist press said the Stonecutters Island contract was another example of Britain trying to drain Hong Kong of its finances, ahead of 1997. The Government is building the $4 billion new naval base for the use of the People's Liberation Army navy after the handover, as part of last summer's defence lands agreement. Work on it began last week and would be completed in early 1997.