A CORRECTIONAL Services Department officer accused of having committed assaults during the Whitehead detention centre raid could not have been responsible for 17 attacks carried out at the same time, his lawyer told a court yesterday. Defence counsel Jesse Kwok Hong-yee told Sha Tin Court statements from Vietnamese boat people who witnessed the pre-dawn raid last April contained conflicting evidence. Mr Kwok's client, assistant officer Cheung Foo-sang, 35, has pleaded not guilty to three charges of common assault. Yesterday, Mr Kwok asked Magistrate Timothy Jenkins for extra time to examine an additional 17 statements and police video footage of the raid. He told the court: 'We have found that there are a lot of other statements which the Crown should have given us for the preparation of the defence. 'The files may not be relevant but he [prosecutor William Lam Kui-po] should have, out of duty, provided all statements to be used or not to be used and let us decide whether they were relevant to the defence case.' Mr Kwok said the statements, which had been acquired from police on Saturday, contained conflicting accounts. 'The defendant cannot be, at the same time, doing all the assaults - 17 different assaults - plus the three charges today,' he said. 'That is quite material to our defence case.' The prosecutor argued an adjournment could lead to some of the witnesses being repatriated before they had the chance to give evidence. The magistrate agreed to adjourn the case until this morning. In his opening address, the prosecutor said eight witnesses would take the stand this week. Six of them were Vietnamese, including a six-year-old boy who would appear 'as if he was an exhibit'. After the adjournment, a Security Branch spokesman said the Secretary for Security, Alistair Asprey, had guaranteed boat people involved in court proceedings would not be deported before they could testify. That guarantee still stood, the spokesman said.