FIFTEEN officials have been disciplined for their parts in the Gouhou dam accident in Qinghai province which killed 288 people, according to Xinhua (the New China News Agency). None of the officials will face criminal charges. The Qinghai Gouhou dam burst on August 27 last year. According to Xinhua, 40 bodies are still unrecovered and damage totalled 153 million yuan (HK$138.93 million). The disciplinary action was announced yesterday by the province's director of supervision, Xu Fangzhi. According to Mr Xu, the 15 officials were found to be inexperienced and lacking in professional and technical knowledge. The director said the decision not to press criminal charges had been made after investigators questioned more than 280 people and examined 360 pieces of evidence and documents. But the director hinted the heavy death toll could have been reduced if the officials had been more alert. He said they had been unaware of the dam's cracking and had failed to inform rescue authorities in time. Yesterday's report did not mention compensation for the victims' families.