Under-fire mayor fights charges of misconduct
In over half a century of government service, Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim earned the nickname 'Dirty Harry', partly because he was never required to explain his actions as a law enforcer.
That all changed when Lim came under fire for his handling of the Manila bus hostage crisis that claimed the lives of seven Hong Kong tourists and their tour guide.
As mayor, he was the head of the city's crisis management committee, but an official inquiry last year rounded on him for effectively abandoning his command post during a critical moment of that fateful night, when he went to dinner instead of staying with other key officials.
The tough-talking 81-year-old, a former police general and lawmaker, has spent the past year trying to fend off administrative charges of neglect and misconduct filed against him.
He denies the charges and has pleaded for their dismissal, presenting evidence and witnesses to bolster his case at three hearings. The cases have yet to be decided.
Lim turned down a request from the South China Morning Post for an interview and declined to offer a message to the families of victims of the tragedy. 'I am greatly honoured by your request but respectfully decline ... in pursuance of the DFA's [Department of Foreign Affair's] recommendation,' he said.
However, he told local TV station ABS-CBN on Friday that the charge of 'misconduct in office', which was ordered filed by presidential Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa, had no basis.