The five-star Harbour Grand Hotel in North Point where a thousand guests had to be evacuated during a blaze on Saturday could be prosecuted after firemen confirmed at least one fire exit was partially blocked on one of the floors. A government spokesman said the Fire Services Department would take follow-up action over the breach. In response, Wings Mok, the hotel's director of corporate communications, said: 'If it is really the case, we will handle the matter in a solemn manner.' Pictures allegedly showing the hotel's fire exits partly blocked by groceries and carts appeared in a Chinese-language newspaper yesterday, although the hotel made no comment about them, saying it was not sure where the pictures were taken. According to fire safety laws, the hotel on Oil Street will be issued a fire hazard abatement notice to rectify the problem. If the notice is ignored, it will be prosecuted and subject to a maximum fine of HK$100,000. About a thousand guests at the hotel were evacuated through the fire exits to safety amid an alarm three level blaze that began at about 3am on Saturday in a giant LED display panel on the 42nd floor. Some guests complained they heard no fire alarms. One injury was reported during the four-hour fire, and the hotel is now facing compensation claims from guests, some of whom had to switch to other hotels. The hotel said claims would be handled individually but it needed to further discuss the matter with its insurance company. Among those considering making a claim are the organisers of the World Peace Prayer event held yesterday. Some of their overseas guests were relocated to the Park Lane Hotel in Causeway Bay after the fire. Jaz Shum, spokesman for the event, said they had wanted to discuss matters with the hotel but the prayer event yesterday kept them too busy to follow it up. Another guest also wanted a refund as she found the current conditions at the hotel unbearable. Veronica Lee, 59, from England, decided to move out from the hotel last night and expected to get a refund after spending a 'dreadful' Saturday night in her 35th floor sea view room. 'The security light in my room was on all night and I couldn't even sleep. It was dreadful,' she said She said the smell of burning still lingered on her floor and the harbour view was blocked as the window was covered by grime from the water. Air conditioning, hot water supply and television services were suspended after the fire. The hotel waived charges for all affected guests for Friday and Saturday. As a gesture of goodwill, free meals were also offered on Saturday and Sunday, according to Mok. Brian Farrer, 57, visiting from the US with his wife, said he checked into the hotel on Sunday afternoon and was surprised to be upgraded to an executive suite and offered complimentary dining coupons.