17 things you may not know about southern China's Greater Bay Area (GBA)
- The "Greater Bay Area" refers to the Chinese government's scheme to link the cities of Hong Kong, Macau, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Foshan, Zhongshan, Dongguan, Huizhou, Jiangmen and Zhaoqing into an integrated economic and business hub.
1. What is the size of the GBA's capital market?
Shenzhen, Hong Kong, Guangzhou and Macau can become Asia's largest. Learn more
2. What is the big deal about wealth management in the GBA?
It is China's capital account reforms writ small. Learn more
3. What is Hong Kong’s role in the Greater Bay Area, according to China’s bank regulator?
As the Greater Bay Area becomes a model of the country’s modernisation drive, Hong Kong will play a role in developing global innovation centres of science and technology, connecting China’s domestic and international circulations and as an offshore renminbi market. Learn more
4. What youth employment opportunities do HSBC, Deloitte and Sun Hung Kai provide in the Greater Bay Area?
HSBC says it will grant up to US$1.03 million for scholarships for Hong Kong undergraduates willing to work or study in Beijing’s development zone Learn more
5. Which city among the 11 in the GBA is the most competitive?
Shenzhen. Learn more
6. Why aren’t Hong Kong lawyers, who speak the same Cantonese as Guangdong, rushing to practise law in China?
A new mechanism now exists for Hong Kong lawyers trained in the common law to qualify for practice in the Greater Bay Area. Learn more
7. How does Hong Kong’s Chief Executive respond to the challenges posed by the ‘rise of Shenzhen’?
Chief executive says work nurturing ties with surging neighbour and mainland as a whole prove she cares about city’s competitiveness. Learn more
Shenzhen once relied on Hong Kong’s investors and businesses for its rise from low-end manufacturing to hi-tech powerhouse. Learn more
8. What is Guangzhou’s role in the bay area master plan?
The blueprint for the bay area sees Guangzhou as an international transport and commerce hub, as well as a centre of culinary excellence. Learn more
9. Why is Huizhou dubbed “China’s Miami”?
Huizhou in Guangdong province is 90 minutes from Kowloon, and is being pitched as an option for elderly citizens seeking escape from Hong Kong’s hardships. Learn more
10. Who are some of the big foreign investors in Huizhou?
Nameson, supplier to Uniqlo, Tommy Hilfiger. Learn more
11. The French oil company Total is going into car batteries, picking Zhuhai for a plant. Here’s why
French battery maker Saft opens energy storage plant in Zhuhai, betting on city’s future role in bay area. Learn more
12. Which city in the Greater Bay Area promises the best return on property investment?
Zhuhai’s proximity to Hong Kong and Macau should make it one of the best-performing property markets in Greater Bay Area. Learn more
13. Are there good schools in Jiangmen?
17 schools with 30,000 places are under construction. Learn more
14. Who are some of Jiangmen's famous local sons and daughters?
Cantopop star Andy Lay, casino magnate Lui Che-woo. Learn more
15. Why did one of China’s hottest electric car makers pick Zhaoqing, the poorest city in the GBA, to build its own assembly?
Inside Chinese electric vehicle maker Xpeng’s factory in Zhaoqing city. Learn more
16. Who are somne of Zhongshan's famous local sons and daughters?
The founder of republican China, Sun Yat-sen. Learn more
17. Why is Dongguan known as the work shop of the ‘world’s factory’?
Dongguan’s multinational factories from Gillette to Samsung give it an edge as a manufacturing hub for the bay area. Learn more