Economic tsar Liu He vows ‘China is coming back’, will keep opening up and supporting private business
- Vice-Premier Liu He, having spoken at World Economic Forum in Switzerland, attempts to dispel concerns about China’s economic policies and changes in Covid strategy
- Comments come after China this week announced one of its slowest economic growth figures in the past half-century

China will strive to retain and boost its appeal to foreign investors, as the country is ready to step back onto the world stage and intensify its global cooperation, Vice-Premier Liu He has vowed in Switzerland.
The economic tsar also invited foreign companies to increase their investments in China, after saying in a speech on Tuesday at the World Economic Forum that China will never return to the planned-economy model. Instead, he said, it will keep opening up and supporting the private sector.
And that message to the forum, he said in the interview, “included perspectives on the last year and prospects for the new year – how China will push for reform and opening up, deepen the reform of state-owned enterprises and support the private sector, and how to set up risks controls”.
“The world has closely monitored China’s Covid-policy changes and its solutions to counter climate change. We feel that the world has deepened its understanding on China, and we hear what they are saying: China is coming back.”