Knives Out film franchise coming after box office success of whodunit starring Daniel Craig, its director says
- ‘Another case, another set of suspects, another type of mystery, but with Daniel’s Benoit Blanc character there to solve it’ – Rian Johnson on new film series
- He has little to say about putative new Star Wars trilogy with which he has been linked after helming divisive blockbuster Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Hit murder mystery Knives Out is set to become a whodunit movie franchise, with Daniel Craig’s Southern gentleman sleuth tackling a brand-new set of suspects, its creator says.
The 2019 movie was a massive success for writer-director Rian Johnson, previously best known for the divisive blockbuster Star Wars: The Last Jedi .
An Agatha Christie homage about a family patriarch murdered in his sprawling mansion, Knives Out on Tuesday passed US$300 million at the global box office, despite a budget of just US$40 million.
“It’s always been in my head that if this one does all right, then it’d be really fun to do more of these,” said Johnson.
The film was nominated for the best original screenplay Oscar – losing out to history-making Parasite – and last week studio Lionsgate confirmed a sequel.