As Bottega Veneta celebrates it’s 50th, 7 things you need to know about the latest collection
Bottega Veneta celebrate two anniversaries this season, the 50th anniversary of the luxury fashion and accessories brand and 15 years of Tomas Maier as creative director. It’s a happy landmark occasion for both.
1. For the first time Tomas Maier presents both men’s and women’s wear together on the catwalk, for Spring/Summer 2017.
2. Men wore biker jackets and blousons over loose cotton chinos and women wore long and short coats in ostrich, crocodile and lamb’s leather and wedge heel shoes with ankle straps or slingbacks that were textured to look like cherished heirlooms.
3. These are beautiful fluid clothes in luxurious fabrics such as the bonded cotton raffia coat worn by Malgosia, and colourful leather or fine bonded black cotton dresses with jet beading and beautiful ‘antique’ silver jewellery.
4. The most touching moment of the show was Gigi Hadid helping the model and actress Lauren Hutton along the very long catwalk in the finale. It served as a metaphor for the show. The iconic Hutton cheered down the runway in her beige silk coat aided by the young star Gigi in a dusty pink silk sweater and pant combo proves Bottega’s appeal spans the generations.
5. For the front row, there were famous faces like Karen Elsen in red sweater and geranium pink leather skirt, and Eva Herzigova in a navy gabardine jacket with a bralette and trousers. There were newcomers in lovely calf length dresses making for an overall style that is long, fluid and graceful.
6. To mark the anniversary there are 15 new bags styles and 15 bags brought back from the archive, including the Intrecciato clutch carried by Lauren Hutton in the iconic film in which she starred American Gigolo.
7. At the end of his show Tomas Maier walked down the catwalk with his design team to a standing ovation, acknowledging their important contribution to the success of the brand.