Hillary Clinton’s other legacy: pantsuits for winter
Failed presidential bid has one consolation as iconic fashion item will be one way to look sharp at work and play
Hillary Clinton may have not won the US presidential election today, but the Democratic candidate’s pantsuits have become a fashion icon of feminism in America. Even though you might not opt for the red, white and blue numbers she wore in debates with Republican opponent Donald Trump, we can take some inspiration to look sharp in the work place (and out of it) this winter.
Six pantsuit inspirations:
1) You can’t go wrong in classic Chanel tweed pantsuit; it’s all about the big lapels, bold check and cropped jacket.
2) A deep indigo slim-fit pantsuit by Italian label Trussardi – the high waist, boot-cut style is classic and the double breasted jacket gives this look a more formal edge.
3) This great coat and pantsuit outfit by Billy Reid debuted in February on the New York catwalks and has bags of old world elegance and masculine cool. The one button, earthy colours are a winner and the tie/scarf loosely fastened at the neck is a great detail.
4) Who says pantsuits have to be conservative and boring? Gucci offers plenty of vibrant, fun and fashion forward options like this sequinned explosion of colour and fur-lined sleeves and an impeccable cut.
5) Spanish designer Angel Schlesser has a quirky take on a white pantsuit Clinton wore in the final presidential debate – crisp black colour blocks on the tuxedo-like lapels and pant hems.
6) Play around with asymmetric versions like this burgundy Ports 1961 pantsuit that gives more edge than it appears at first glance.