Five fast facts about this weekend’s Beertopia festival in Hong Kong
More than 500 craft brews will be featured at Central Harbourfront event, along with craft beer cocktails, a blind-tasting contest for beer nerds, and the first Hong Kong Beer Championships
Beertopia started in 2012 and last year had over 13,000 visitors. This year it will be held on November 18-19 at Central Harbourfront. Tickets range from HK$285 for just the Friday night session to HK$495 for the VIP all-weekend ticket. For more information go to www.beertopiahk.com.
1. This is the fifth year of the craft beer festival, and it features more than 20 restaurants, 14 Hong Kong breweries, including Black Kite Brewery, Kowloon Bay Brewery, Moonzen and Mak’s Brewing, and over 500 different beers and ciders from countries around the world including Lithuania, the Netherlands, Sweden and Vietnam.
2. The Hong Kong Beer Championships is making its debut this year, in which local brews will be judged by overseas head brewers. The winners will be announced on Friday, November 18, at 9pm.
3. Festival goers can enjoy their beers in a 2,000 sq ft outdoor shisha garden that is described as having colourful lights and beanbag chairs. Sit back and enjoy the city skyline under the stars.
4. Those wanting a different kind of drink can sample craft beer cocktails, new to the event. Visitors can preview creative concoctions by Kwoon by The Woods, a new artisanal bar opening this month. Meanwhile, Young Master Ales is making three exclusive Beertopia cocktails, including “Go-Go-Gose”, a vodka-based drink that has guava and rose flavours, and “Rye So Serious”, a bourbon-based cocktail with hints of orange peel and citrus.
5. 852beer http://www.852beer.com – a Hong Kong-based craft beer training and consultancy company – is holding blind tastings to test those who think they know it all when it comes to beer styles and flavours. Winners will get prizes and bragging rights.