-
Advertisement
Food and Drinks
LifestyleFood & Drink

Jimmy’s Kitchen closes to restore standards and traditional recipes as head chef and manager vows to burnish restaurant’s legend

One of Hong Kong’s oldest restaurants, Jimmy’s Kitchen has served Western dishes to film stars, businesspeople and homesick expats for 90 years. Its new chef says the food quality has dropped in recent years and needs fixing

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
A 1982 file photo of Jimmy’s Kitchen. The restaurant has long been a favourite destination of tourists and local celebrities, such as film director Ann Hui On-wah (far left).
Enid Tsui

One of Hong Kong’s oldest Western restaurants is closing temporarily for a complete revamp – of its food. Jimmy’s Kitchen’s in Wyndham Street, Central, an icon from the colonial era, has been serving subpar food that has deviated wildly from traditional recipes and that has to stop, its new head chef says.

An undated advert for Jimmy's Kitchen in the South China Morning Post.
An undated advert for Jimmy's Kitchen in the South China Morning Post.
“Classics such as the steak and kidney pie were not being done in a correct way. I am not willing to serve it as it is. I am now in the process of refreshing the brand and the products,” says Adrian Kavanagh.

Last hurrah for Hong Kong dining institution Sammy’s Kitchen – eat at Sai Ying Pun restaurant while you still can

Kavanagh was previously the senior head chef at Jamie’s Italian in Hong Kong and before that was senior head chef for the British celebrity chef’s restaurants in Scotland. He was recruited in November by the owner of the 90-year-old restaurant, Sherman Tang, whose Epicurean Group also owns the historic Peak Lookout.

Advertisement
Adrian Kavanagh is head chef of Jimmy’s Kitchen. Photo: Epicurean Group
Adrian Kavanagh is head chef of Jimmy’s Kitchen. Photo: Epicurean Group
He did not explain why the kitchen remained open, even though it was clearly winding down for the two-week shutdown, which begins on April 25.
An undated advert for Jimmy’s Kitchen from the South China Morning Post.
An undated advert for Jimmy’s Kitchen from the South China Morning Post.
When we went there for dinner last Tuesday, we were surprised to be told by waiters that the pie and many other classic dishes, including the roast pork special of the day, were not available “because of supply issues”. Former favourites such as coq au vin and ginger pudding have also disappeared from the menu.
Advertisement

A colleague who visited on a different evening this month said choices were also limited that day.

Jimmy’s Kitchen going strong after 85 years

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x