World’s 50 Best Bars 2022: Barcelona bar No 1, Singapore takes top spot in Asia – which two Hong Kong bars made the list?
- The 14th edition of the World’s 50 Best Bars list features 14 new entries from around the world, along with five bars that re-enter the list
- Despite a strong showing in the list’s Asia edition, only one Tokyo bar makes the top 50 – one of 8 in Asia on a list dominated by European and American bars
The 14th edition of the World’s 50 Best Bars list was announced at a live awards ceremony held in Barcelona, Spain, on October 5.
This year, the top position was taken by Paradiso in Barcelona, a cocktail bar hidden behind a pastrami shop in the Spanish city’s El Born district.
A new addition to Paradiso’s cocktail menu is the Legacy Twist, a Daiquiri-like drink served in a hollowed out book, and The Evolution, which comes in a spindly vessel inspired by the Voyager 2 space probe.
The crowning of Paradiso marks the first time a bar outside London and New York has taken top spot – perhaps less a comment on the quality of cocktail bars outside the two major cities than an indication of marketing efforts, bars’ accessibility and the biases of the judging panel.
Other cities whose cocktail bars made it onto the list for the first time include Florence, with Locale Firenze in 39th spot, Lisbon, with Red Frog in 40th place, and Naples (L’Antiquario, 46th). They are among 26 cities represented on the list, with New York, London and Mexico City having the most entries.
Barcelona, as the host city for this year’s awards, fared well, with three entries including Paradiso; Sips received the Nikka Highest Climber award after rising 34 spots to 3rd, while Two Schmucks leapt four spots to 7th.
Asia fared less well, with only eight bars ranked – in Singapore, Hong Kong, Bangkok, New Delhi and Tokyo. While Japanese bars have traditionally done well in the Asia edition of the list, only Bar Benfiddich in Tokyo made it into the top 50 this year, in 48th spot. The SG Club, ranked 18th in the 2021 list, dropped off entirely.
Argo at Four Seasons Hong Kong made its debut on the list in 28th spot.
“We don’t take this recognition for granted, and we aim to keep pushing the Argo experience forward.”
Mark Sansom, content director of The World’s 50 Best Bars, said: “We are delighted to once again be able to showcase the incredible diversity of the global bar sector, from grand hotel bars and dive bars to neighbourhood speakeasies and stunning rooftop spaces.
“The consumer appetite for quality cocktail bars just keeps on growing and to be able to introduce 14 new entries to help sate this and encourage travel plans couldn’t make us happier.”
The full list is below (new entries for 2022 marked with an asterisk)
1. Paradiso, Barcelona (Best Bar in Europe)
2. Tayēr + Elementary, London
3. Sips, Barcelona (Highest Climber)
4. Licorería Limantour, Mexico City (Best Bar in North America and Legend of the List)
5. Little Red Door, Paris (Sustainable Bar Award)
6. Double Chicken Please, New York (Highest New Entry) *
7. Two Schmucks, Barcelona
8. The Connaught Bar, London
9. Katana Kitten, New York
10. Alquímico, Cartegena (Best Bar in South America)
11. Handshake Speakeasy, Mexico City
12. Jigger & Pony, Singapore (Best Bar in Asia)
13. Hanky-Panky, Mexico City (Art of Hospitality)
14. Bangkok Social Club, Bangkok (Best New Opening) *
15. Salmon Guru, Madrid
16. Drink Kong, Rome
18. Florería Atlántico, Buenos Aires
19. The Clumsies, Athens
20. Baba au Rum, Athens
21. Cafe La Trova, Miami
22. Attaboy, New York
23. Satan’s Whiskers, London *
24. Tropic City, Bangkok *
25. Kumiko, Chicago *
26. Sidecar, New Delhi
27. Tres Monos, Buenos Aires
29. Maybe Sammy, Sydney (Best Bar in Australasia)
30. Swift, London
31. Line, Athens *
32. Baltra Bar, Mexico City
33. Manhattan, Singapore
34. Overstory, New York *
35. 1930, Milan
36. Dante, New York
37. A Bar With Shapes For A Name, London *
38. Zuma, Dubai (Best Bar in Middle East and Africa)
39. Locale Firenze, Florence *
40. Red Frog, Lisbon *
41. Cantina OK!, Sydney
42. CoChinChina, Buenos Aires *
43. Himkok, Oslo
44. Carnaval, Lima
45. Galaxy Bar, Dubai
46. L’Antiquario, Naples *
47. Employees Only, New York
48. Bar Benfiddich, Tokyo
49. Lucy’s Flower Shop, Stockholm
50. Bulgari Bar, Dubai *