The top 20 worldwide fitness trends for 2016, according to experts
Wearable technology tops the list of expected trends for the first time
These are the findings of the American College of Sports Medicine’s annual survey of health and fitness professionals’ views on the top fitness trends of 2016.
1. Wearable technology: includes fitness trackers, smartwatches, heart rate monitors, and GPS tracking devices.
2. Bodyweight training: a “back to basics” training style that uses minimal equipment, thereby making it more affordable.
3. High-intensity interval training (HIIT): involves short bursts of activity followed by a short period of rest or recovery, for a total workout that usually takes under 30 minutes.
4. Strength training: a central emphasis for many health clubs, strength training is an essential part of a complete exercise programme - along with aerobic exercise and flexibility - for all physical activity levels and genders.
5. Educated and experienced fitness professionals: it’s important that consumers choose professionals certified through programmes that are accredited by bodies such as the US National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA).
6. Personal training: education, training and proper credentialling for personal trainers have become increasingly important to the health and fitness facilities that employ them.
7. Functional fitness: uses strength training to improve balance and ease of daily living. It’s closely related to the next trend.
8. Fitness programmes for older adults: as the baby boom generation ages into retirement, some of these people have more discretionary money than their younger counterparts to spend on fitness programmes.
9. Exercise and weight loss: health and fitness professionals who provide weight loss programmes are increasingly incorporating regular exercise and caloric restriction for better weight control in their clients.
10. Yoga: yoga seems to reinvent and refresh itself every year, making it a more attractive form of exercise.
11 Group personal training
12 Worksite health promotion
13 Wellness coaching
14 Outdoor activities
15 Sport-specific training
16 Flexibility and mobility rollers
17 Smart phone exercise apps
18 Circuit training
19 Core training
20 Outcome measurements