1. The top spot in Asia went to Komandoo, Maldives (about US$814 per night, most affordable month to visit: September), an adult-only retreat overlooking the Indian Ocean. Top-notch service, private Jacuzzis and terraces, and tranquillity make it a favourite, with one reviewer commenting: “Exceeded all our expectations and made our honeymoon a wonderful memory for life.”
2. Baros Maldives, Baros Island, Maldives ranked second in Asia, (about US$1,173 per night, most affordable month to visit: June), for its beautifully designed beach and waterside villas, designed to blend with the natural environment. Reviewers recommend the twilight dinner for two on the sandbar.
3. The Place Luxury Boutique Villas, Ko Tao, Thailand (about US$224 per night), has nine boutique villas with private infinity pools, making it an ideal spot for couples looking for a bit of privacy. Reviewers mention the overall attention to detail, and welcome extras such as massages on the sun deck.
4. Layana Resort and Spa, Ko Lanta, Thailand (about US$266 per night, most affordable month to visit: July). Also an adult-only resort, the opulent Layana is set on a white sandy beach and emphasises friendly service. “Come and be pampered, soak up the wonderful scenery, enjoy true Thai hospitality and unwind,” said one TripAdvisor reviewer.
5. Ceylon Tea Trails, Colombo, Sri Lanka (about US$751 per night), is set against a natural backdrop of mountains, lakes and waterfalls. Guests love its butler service, spa treatments and luxury baths, and panoramic trails. “Beyond a doubt it is one of the most spectacular places I have ever stayed in, from every angle the views are breathtaking, the accommodation whilst simple compared to most luxury hotels these days was simultaneously inviting and relaxing, and the service - well that was phenomenal,” gushed one reviewer.