-
Advertisement
HK Magazine Archive
Magazines

Internet War Over Mainland Child Pooing In Public, Erwiana Named One of the Time 100 and No Occupying Central this July

We read the news, so you don't have to. 

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Internet War Over Mainland  Child Pooing In Public, Erwiana Named One of the Time 100 and No Occupying Central this July

Internet War Over Mainland Child Pooing In Public

Newspapers reported a pair of mainland parents who got into a fight with a Hongkonger for taking photos of their child defecating in a Mong Kok street. The incident went viral, prompting different responses online: mainland netizens called for a boycott against visiting Hong Kong to prove how important mainland visitors are to the economy. Another netizen “declared war” on Hong Kong, asking all Chinese people to bring their children to the SAR for Golden Week and then get them to relieve themselves in public. Hong Kong netizens retorted by suggesting a photo competition, and enthusiastically urged mainlanders to carry out the boycott. Popular Chinese daily newspaper Southern Metropolis Daily published a guide to finding a toilet in Hong Kong. Their number one tip: head to the malls.

Our take: Assholes in the streets, assholes online, assholes everywhere.

Erwiana Named One of the Time 100

Indonesian domestic helper Erwiana Sulistyaningsih has been named one of Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People, under the headline: “the migrant who fought back.” Erwiana worked in Hong Kong as a domestic worker for eight months, during which she was allegedly tortured by her employers. She fled the city unpaid, sporting bruises, open wounds and swellings over her body. Time Magazine lauded her bravery for speaking out against her employers and fighting for better legal protection for migrant workers. Erwiana expressed her happiness, but said that many of her fellow workers are still treated like slaves.

Advertisement

Our take: Also on the list: Miley Cyrus, Hillary Clinton. Hopefully they’ll all get to meet.

No Occupying Central this July

Occupy Central organizer Benny Tai reiterated that a full-force occupational movement will not happen this July, as pan-democrats and other groups are planning their own Occupy Central event right after the annual July 1 protest. Pro-democracy group Hong Kong 2020’s research director Lee Wing-tat said they believe Hongkongers don’t have the patience to wait for the real Occupy Central and that they need to show Beijing that Occupy Central isn’t just talk. Tai had clarified last year that since the government won’t table a constitutional reform proposal until October at the earliest, Occupy Central won’t happen until then. The organization is currently working on an electronic referendum in June, to allow Hongkongers to vote for a proposal of their own choosing.

Advertisement

Our take: Ah well, July’s a bit hot for camping anyway.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x